Best Mattress For A Crib
Which is the best crib mattress for a baby to choose? Obviously you know it’s going to be the one that’s the safest for your baby, but how on earth do you choose from all the different brand names…. Colgate, Sealy, Simmons,Naturpedic-there are lot of brand names to choose from.
And once you get past the brand names, if you haven’t had a meltdown by now, then what filling do you choose? Synthetic, organic cotton, wool, coconut fibre, inner springs, how firm how, soft, should I buy a breathable mattress for infants and the list goes on!
The thought of buying the right crib mattress is important as that’s where your newest family member will be spending a lot of time! And you definitely want to be comfortable in knowing you’ve made the right choice.
How Do I Know Which Is The Best Crib Mattress For A Baby To Choose …
I know buying all of those gorgeous teeny tiny baby clothes is so much fun and it’s really hard to know when to stop isn’t it! And looking for those other important baby items such as strollers and car seats is pretty exciting too. There are so many different types of strollers to choose from and it all depends on where / how you will use one …
When I thought about choosing the right baby crib pad, my stomach clutched a bit in fear because there is so much information out there. It’s actually quite hard to know where to start. Just like every other item you buy for your baby or the nursery, a great deal of thought and care needs to go into purchasing a top rated crib mattress. And that, is where I hope I can help you as I’ve had to buy a few crib mattresses over the years.
Who Am I?
First a quick overview of myself. We are a family of five, my husband Jeff, me, Claire, Hunter, Darcy and Daisy. Successfully parenting them over the years- a combination of experience, trial and sometimes error has helped us encourage 3 great kids to grow up and of whom we are very proud! I have become something of an expert in picking different crib mattresses, and many things baby, which are worth investing in, so, I’d like to share those insights with you….
The 4 Best Crib Mattresses For A Crib
You may not be aware a baby often sleeps anywhere up to 18 hours a day…. I highly recommend you buy the best crib mattress you can afford for your baby where he/she spends most of the time. The right mattress should be firm, not too soft and to fit snugly into the crib. There shouldn’t be any gaps between the mattress pad and actual crib. Not all mattresses are safe surprisingly so you need to be aware.
In a HURRY! Like to jump straight to reviews?
To decide on the best crib mattress, you need to decide which type of crib mattress…. as there are 2 types
- Foam crib mattress
These mattresses are made of polyurethane or foams as we know them. This is covered by an outer shell usually made of fabric or vinyl. The outer covers can be waterproof or not and or removable. I strongly suggest removable so you can wash them. Babies poo and wee a lot!
- Innerspring crib mattress
These mattresses are made of steel springs covered with several layers of padding. The padding has a cover which can be waterproof, or not, and or removable . There are border rods that go around from top to bottom. Some innerspring crib mattresses lack this and I strongly recommend not to buy them.
Then there are materials the mattresses are made from. Today there are a wide range of choices thankfully. There are a range of accompanying prices to match. You can spend from $50 to over $1000…. or more in some cases.
- Organic or eco-friendly crib mattress
Organic or eco-friendly crib mattresses are made of eco-friendly organic ingredients such as cotton, coconut fiber or wool. Completely organic crib mattress’s can be a little more pricey. There are some organic options which include a very minimal percentage of chemicals, PVC or plastics. They cost less, but of course don’t give you total organic protection for your baby. There are many of affordable organic crib mattress options which don’t cost a fortune.
- Conventional crib mattress
All of the materials used are made from synthetics. These are generally cheaper, do not breath well and release noxious gasses over time. Considering the long hours your baby spends sleeping, they can be exposed to quite a few toxins. When it comes to your baby, I don’t believe there is a safe level of exposure with their soft skin. If this is a strong concern of yours, you should seriously look at buying an organic crib mattress. As you are deciding which design to buy, make sure you read all those crib mattress pad reviews. Actual user experience shared from parents is priceless.
- Breathable Mattress pads for baby’s are well worth considering. Keeping your little ones sleeping areas as safe and healthy as possible is important. If your baby turns face down, they can breathe through the cover. As they can be sweaty little creatures, breathable mattress pads for baby’s help regulate body temperature.
There is something of an old fashioned prejudice that innerspring crib mattresses are better, safer, stronger than foam crib mattresses. Years ago this may well have been true, but technology has advanced considerably these days. I know you will have an open mind and look at numerous options before buying…
- How? Foam crib mattresses can be just as durable and offer top quality models as an inner spring pad mattress. Foam crib mattresses are lighter and much easier to handle, especially if you turn the mattress frequently.
According to director of marketing of Colgate Juvenile Products, Dennis Schuetz, “A top-quality foam crib mattress will hold up just as long as an innerspring crib mattress with normal use,”
- But keep in mind foam crib mattresses for a baby can be below average quality too. Always look for a denser inner foam. The denser the better. The tighter cell structure helps the mattress to keep its shape and firmness. Innerspring crib mattress can also be premium quality and they are an excellent safe choice also. If you personally prefer innerspring crib mattresses, research your chosen mattress and read all the reviews- and that goes for any mattress. I will say go for the ones with better gauge steels.
Best Crib Mattress: Reviews & Recommendation
Here is a list of 4 of the best crib mattress which I feel offer safety, durability and longevity. Jeff and I have used them all. If something happens during shipping, or maybe you are not satisfied enough with the product after the arrival, you can always return the product and get a new one. You can jump to this section here to learn how and why I selected these brandsand how I choose the best crib mattress.
The Best Crib Mattress For A Baby Is The Newton Lightweight Wovenaire
Best Organic Mattress For Baby Crib – The Little Star
Best Innerspring Crib Mattress
Best Foam Crib Mattress
What Kept In Mind To Choose the Best Crib Mattress
- Foam density: The top rated foam crib mattresses for a baby are made from small cell high density foam. The denser the foam is, the better it will retain form and structure without taking on your baby’s shape as they spend so many hours sleeping. If you choose to buy a foam crib pad, make sure the foam component uses high density foam please.
- Cover quality: Usually a crib mattress is covered with either a fabric or vinyl cover. If the mattress cover doesn’t zip off, make sure you could wipe it down with a baby wipe or warm soapy water for hygiene reasons.
- Air circulation: Many crib mattresses offer builtin features which allow air circulation. This provides a healthier environment for your baby, stops them getting so sweaty as they sleep, helping with temperature regulation. Breathable crib mattress reviews will let you know the degree of air movement. For some parents, and rightly so, this is an important aspect.
- Innerspring Coils: The more innerspring coils, or coil count, the better quality the crib mattress is. Some of the more expensive crib mattresses have coil counts of over 300. The gauge of the steel springs matters as well so look for 12 and above in the actual coils and 9.0 in the border rods.
- Border rods: Border rods are a very important aspect of an innerspring crib mattress as they hold the edges in place and shape.
- Insulation Padding: Make sure there are a few layers of insulator on top of the spring coils. The best insulator padding is usually made with from cotton, wool, coir fiber. Another pad named ‘rag’ is also available in the market wrapping spring crib mattresses.
- Certifications: Go for the best! Look for these certifications- Greenguard Gold Certified, CertiPUR-US Certified foam or GOTS certified organic
Didn’t Quite Get There?
Well, that’s all for the moment. The choices above will get you inspired and we know you will find exactly the right brand and model for your needs and budget for buying the best crib mattress for a baby. You can also visit here for a detailed crib mattress buying guide. As you browse, do make the time to read the best crib mattress pad reviews. They give you a detailed rundown and user experience, especially on Amazon. If you are looking for mattresses which are specifically breathable, make sure you google “breathable crib mattress reviews” to find out which are the most suitable designs.
May your child be in good health. Happy parenting!!
If you managed to fit into the baby crib somehow, You will feel comfortable too. ha ha ha.